Jetstream

by Matthew Stollak on Friday, March 4, 2011

Last weekend, I was attending the ASBBS Conference in Las Vegas.  Having some spare time, and being somewhat a hamburger aficianado, I decided to grab lunch at the Burger Bar in the Mandalay Bay.  Perusing the many options on the menu, I came across the Rossini burger which they were selling for $60.

That's right, you can get a $60 burger at the Burger Bar.  Vegas certainly lives up to its excess

What do you get?  "Kobe beef, sauteed foie gras, shaved truffles on an onion bun.  Named after a XIXth century Italian composer whose love for fine food was legendary.  The preparation always includes foie gras, truffles and a rich brown sauce, in this case, Black Perigord Truffle."


Now, I wasn't brave (or wealthy) enough to drop $60 on a burger.  But, it made me wonder if a $60 burger can truly live up to its price tag.  Would the very selling price influence my perception of its taste?  Would my expectations be heightened?  Am I more apt to like it because I do not want to admit I made a mistake in spending that much money on a burger (especially since In-n-Out Burger was less than a mile away and I could have gotten a fantastic meal for less than $5.00)?

With that in mind, are we guilty of the same kind of thoughts in the design of our HR programs?  Do managers become enamored with the service they provide, thinking it is the equivalent of a $60 burger?  Do employees believe HR is delivering a Rossini or just a Whopper?

One comment

Isn't perception "reality"? Isn't what one "feels" the most important factor in any evaluation of "truth" or "truthiness" of any "fact" or data point? Whether evaluating the cost of a product or service, how do the decision makers (whether an individual or group)decide what criteria that are to be used for the evaluation of satisfaction or utility?

by Anonymous on March 5, 2011 at 6:39 AM. #

Leave your comment