Temptation

by Matthew Stollak on Monday, July 13, 2009

Hard as it is to believe, the fall semester for my school begins seven weeks from today. I've already been working on my syllabi for two of my classes. I am also thinking about my advising responsibilities for my SHRM student chapter. Many of my HR colleagues have commented to me that the students they meet and interview have a good understanding of the HR basics and knowledge base. However, they are lacking in those "soft" skills that would help them in the workplace. One of the ideas I thought I would bring to the students is to have the chapter focus on a year-long program on these "soft" skills. Programs would include:

  • Developing critical thinking skills
  • Developing time management skills
  • Developing a responsible work ethic
  • Communicating effectively
  • Using mathematics effectively
  • Working cooperatively
  • Respecting diversity
  • Integrating technology
What other "soft" skills training is needed for today's undergraduate?

3 comments

they should all bartend. incorporates all the "soft" skills you mention.

by Anonymous on July 13, 2009 at 7:04 PM. #

Math is lost on undergraduates. (Or am I just talking about myself?)

by Unknown on July 14, 2009 at 9:19 PM. #

@Carl - I'll make that recommendation,though Green Bay is not a big drinking town, like Boston is not a big college town.

@Laurie - very true. we have more incoming freshman needing remedial math than ever before. They had to add two additional sections for the fall.

by Matthew Stollak on July 14, 2009 at 9:25 PM. #

Leave your comment