2012 Pop Culture Year In Review #pophr #HRMusicShare

by Matthew Stollak on Thursday, December 20, 2012

With 2012 coming to a close, its time to look back on the year in movies, TV, books, music, videogames, and food.  Over the course of the year, I viewed 107 movies, read 55 books, watched countless hours of TV, played countless hours of Angry Birds, listened to a lot of music, and ate a lot of food.  So, what tops the list in 2012?

Sight

The Best Things I Saw In 2012

  1. Sherlock: Season 2, Episode 1 - A Scandal in Belgravia - The most exhilarating hour and a half of viewing this year.  Well-acted, great script.  Well-worth your time
  2. Key & Peele: East/West College Bowl - I've seen it well over 30 times and it never fails to make me laugh out loud each time.
  3. Bill Clinton, Democratic National Convention - One of the best speeches I have ever seen.
The Best Movies I Saw In 2012
  1. Argo - Excellent effort from Ben Affleck
  2. Moonrise Kingdom - A return to form from Wes Anderson
  3. Cabin in the Woods - Forget "The Avengers," this was the better Joss Whedon film
The Best TV Shows of 2012 
  1. Sherlock Season 2
  2. Justified
  3. Louie
  4. Breaking Bad
  5. Parks and Recreation
  6. Mad Men
  7. Boardwalk Empire
  8. Game of Thrones
The Best Books I Read in 2012
  1. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn - Page turner featuring two despicable people at odds in their marriage
  2. Ready Player One - Ernest Cline - Science Fiction/Quest novel based on video games (like Zork) and nostalgia for all things pop culture in the 1980s.  
  3. Back in Blood - Tom Wolfe - A bounce back from the disappointing " I Am Charlotte Simmons"

Sound
My Favorite Songs from 2012
  1. Bad Girls - M.I.A. - the best hook from 2012
  2. Bad Religion - Frank Ocean -  his performance on Jimmy Fallon was amazing
  3. Under the Westway - Blur
  4. Speed the Collapse - Metric
  5. Distractions - Orbital
  6. Pyramids  - Frank Ocean
  7. Beezledub - Orbital
  8. Flesh and Bone - The Killers
  9. Popular - Saint Etienne

My Favorite Albums/CDs of 2012
The Best Thing I Ate in 2012 
  1. Charburger with Cheese at Edzos in Evanston, IL
  2. Wiseguy Pizza at Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, AZ
  3. Cheeseburger at Redamak's in New Buffalo, MI
That's it for me in 2012.   Here's to a happy holiday season and an even better 2013 in movies, TV, music, and food.

One comment

Back to Blood? Really? I'm surprised.

by John on December 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM. #

Leave your comment