Shellshock

by Matthew Stollak on Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Welcome to 2010 at True Faith HR. Like Obama, I am looking forward, not backward. Looking at my planner, it looks like I will be accumulating more frequent flier miles than Clooney in "Up in the Air." The only concern is being treated like Derek Smalls by TSA agents:



What does 2010 have in store for travel?

February 19-21 - Las Vegas: I will be presenting a paper with colleagues at the American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences Conference.

March 5-6 - Oshkosh: It is time for the 2010 WI SHRM Student Conference and HR Games. I didn't say it would all be exciting travel, but watching HR student compete on their knowledge of HR using a Jeopardy-style format is always fun

March 12-16 - Phoenix: It will be spring break at my school and this year I will be taking a trip with some WI SHRM colleagues to see a couple of Milwaukee Brewers spring training games. I've never been to Phoenix, so if anyone has good dining suggestions, let me know.

March 19-21 - Milwaukee: Opening round of the NCAA Tournament at the Bradley Center with friends and colleagues. Last year, we were able to take in the opening round in Minneapolis and see my beloved Michigan State Spartans. Hopefully, MSU will be assigned to MKE this year.

April 2-6 - Indianapolis: Men's NCAA Basketball Final Four. Enough said.

April 23-25 - West Lafayette: The SHRM North Central Region Student HR Conference and HR Games. Take March 5-6 and increase it tenfold as teams from the region compete for the right to a trip to San Diego for the 2010 SHRM Annual Conference. The winning team of 3 undergraduates get free registration along with airfare, hotel, meals, and a scholarship.

May 17-31 - Prague/Xanten/Den Bosch/Amsterdam: Each spring, our school offers to faculty and staff an opportunity to travel to Europe to look at the heritage of our school. So, I decided to take advantage of this opportunity.

June 25-30 - San Diego : 2010 SHRM Annual Conference. Hate the high cost of hotels, but I will likely attend.

October 6-8 - Appleton: 2010 Wisconsin SHRM State Conference.

November 18-21 - Arlington, VA: 2010 SHRM National Leadership Conference.

After this it gets a little more hazy....thrown in the mix:
February 5-8 - Miami - could I find my way to Florida if the Packers make it?
Spring - HREvolution 2: Judgment Day - can I fit it into my packed spring schedule?
Summer - Home to Michigan to visit family?
Fall - "W" Weekend 10 - the 10th anniversary of friends from California, New York, etc., get together for a weekend where there is a Badgers home game on Saturday, and Packers home game on Sunday. Last year, we had special guest Phil Keoghan of "The Amazing Race" as part of the festivities....will he be up for the hijinks again this year?

What travel plans do you have for 2010?

P.S. Don't rob my house when I am gone...ha.

5 comments

Matt - I have heard some rumors of a guy's HR Blogger roadie/tweetup/unconference in Vegas in June that will correspond with the NBA summer league.

by Steve Boese on January 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM. #

@Steve..."Your ideas intrigue me. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter."

by Matthew Stollak on January 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM. #

See you in W. Lafayette and San Diego. I will be in Phoenix a couple of weeks before you go and if I find any outstanding spots, I will let you know.


John Jorgensen

by Anonymous on January 5, 2010 at 12:58 PM. #

@John - Thanks. I heard Pizzeria Bianco (http://www.pizzeriabianco.com/) is very good, but the wait is long if you don't get there early.

by Matthew Stollak on January 5, 2010 at 1:20 PM. #

It might have been faster to just list when you WILL be home. lol. Sounds like you have some great events coming up this year. I'm going to do my best to work HRevolution 2: Judgement Day into YOUR schedule so you won't have to give it a second thought. :-)

by Trish McFarlane on January 6, 2010 at 6:17 AM. #

Leave your comment