Tighten Up

by Matthew Stollak on Friday, July 8, 2011

Like many of you, I have trouble keeping up with all of my contacts on all the social networking platforms as well as the information that accompanies them and it.  Twitter, Facebook, Empire Avenue, Quora, etc. and now Google Plus has entered the picture.   I limit my followers on Twitter to around 500, as I have difficulty keeping up with my Twitter stream if it exceeds that number .  Unless I have met you in real life, I am unlikely to follow you (apologies to those who have recently followed me and I haven't reciprocated).  Even as I try to put a cap on all this, it is still difficult to separate the signal from the noise.  Am I effectively using my network to hear about the latest and greatest information?  What is the must read set of blogs for the day?  Am I missing something crucial?

One of my daily website destinations is Quickish.   Launched in early January 2011 by former ESPN Page 2 writer Dan Shanoff.  Shanoff used to write the "Daily Quickie," which highlighted the important stories from the previous day in sports, as well as previewed the potential big stories of the day ahead.   Quickish attempts to take that to the next level by providing real-time sports tips as the day progresses.  It could be a blog, it could be something on Twitter, it could be a must see highlight on YouTube.  While there are a lot of news aggregators, the key difference for Quickish is that is editor-vetted.

Something similar is needed in the HR arena (perhaps there is, and I am simply missing it, making this whole post moot).  While there are sites like paper.li or Twyleh, they are too reliant on hashtags and do not filter the wheat from the chaff.

Take the recent SHRM Annual Conference, for example.  With the increased emphasis on social media, the content being produced was enormous.   Someone following the #shrm11 hashtag was likely to be overwhelmed.  What was needed was someone choosing the best tweets and blogs at the particular time.  A Quickish for HR would serve that purpose.

So, if any venture capitalists are out there...this might be something worth pursuing.

One comment

This whole idea is great Matt and I'm seeing a new trend toward "social curation". You may want to check out the firm who powered Obama's Twitter Town Hall, Mass Relevance (http://www.massrelevance.com). My sense is that this is what you're hinting at, but I could be wrong. It happened once before. :)

by Mark Stelzner on July 8, 2011 at 11:12 AM. #

Leave your comment