What's Your Most Memorable Phone Call?

by Matthew Stollak on Friday, July 13, 2012





One of my favorite movies is "Night Shift," directed by Ron Howard, and starring Henry Winkler, Shelley Long, and Michael Keaton (pictured above).

Keaton has been all too absent from movies the past few years or so (just check out his imdb.com resume), so I was intrigued to see a new interview with him on Grantland.com this afternoon.

It's a nice interview, and it's good to catch up with Keaton, but it also contains one of the more intriguing questions that you'll see (it even took Keaton aback):


(2) How about the most memorable telephone call of your life?
Michael: Wow. That's a really good one. Well, there's one that's not good, I won't talk about that one. Most memorable phone call … wow, that is really good. I have to come back to that one because I'm thinking, I'm remembering a lot now. Uh, you can't say the birth of your kid because I was literally there. Nobody had to call me.
Daniel: Any one life-changing phone call?

Michael: Well, yeah, one, unfortunately, I was informed of somebody really, really close to me, you know, was extremely sick.

Daniel:
That's sort of the bad part of that question, I guess.

Michael: Yeah, because that's the truth, though. I guess I'll just answer you honestly instead of trying to be funny. Unfortunately that didn't happen all that long ago. That was a life-changer, that was literally a life-changer. That was huge. But there were happy ones — a lot of happy ones.

Daniel: Sure.

Michael: Boy, was that a great question, though. Have you asked that question before?

Daniel: No.

Michael: Boy, you can hang your hat on that one. You ought to ask that one a lot, because that really makes you think. I've never been asked that. That's rare, that there's a question I've never been asked.

Daniel: Well, I'm flattered.

Michael: Hang on to that one.
An intriguing one to ask during a job interview, huh? Have you ever asked or been asked that one?

For me, the most memorable would be the news that our faculty personnel committee would be recommending to the President that I would be granted tenure.  Of course, I had been traveling that day and missed it entirely when our Associate Dean was calling to deliver the good news.  I thus learned about it on voicemail.

So, what's your answer to the question?

3 comments

feed mayo to tuna fish.

by Paul Hebert on July 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM. #

Call Starkist

by Matthew Stollak on July 14, 2012 at 6:15 AM. #

I wouldn't ask it in a job interview. Far too often those memorable phone calls are very personal, and it's a slippery slope. Hard to tie that one back to being work related. 757 on the front lawn, how long it takes to buy an HDTV, even what kind of animal would you be and why... much easier to demonstrate how those are work/behavior related.

My answer is truly too personal to share with anyone but close friends & family, and once you think of your answer, it's hard to come up with another one in it's place!

by Unknown on July 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM. #

Leave your comment