Should an Author's Resume/CV Be on His/Her #HR blog?

by Matthew Stollak on Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Short post, and inside baseball.  

I was taken to task by a reader regarding my use of LinkedIn to examine the educational background of the HuffPost Top 100 Most Social HR Experts on Twitter.  Her argument is that LinkedIn is a glitchy marketing tool, that shouldn't be confused with a resume.  

So, it got me wondering...if not LinkedIn, where can I find the evidence of the expertise and background of the HR leaders of today?

Combing the list and perusing the many HR blogs and personal websites out there, one of the things I have noticed is how few have the author's resume (or a link to one) detailing employment history, skills, educational background, etc. There might be a bio, some background info, and a link to LinkedIn to connect, but rarely is there information demonstrating their bonafides.

Why might that be?
  • Despite the reader's contention above, has LinkedIn replaced the traditional resume for most, and individuals should be directed there to see the details?
  • Personal preference?
  • The author hasn't updated the resume in quite awhile? 
With that in mind, should an author's resume be part of the blog (mine's at the top)?  Would knowing such information enhance the credibility of the author's blog? Does it matter?

Leave your thoughts below.

11 comments

Speaking for myself only here, I'd say no, and that a link to your LinkedIn profile is sufficient. I almost never have an 'updated' resume anyway but LinkedIn I generally keep pretty current and it has lots more information that my resume would.

by Steve Boese on July 9, 2013 at 7:11 AM. #

I use a link to my LinkedIn profile as well. I have a resume I update for specific opportunities. I could probably have a generic version, but that is what my LinkedIn profile serves as.
I don't think anyone would value my content differently based upon my resume. Or my SHRM membership, by the way.

by Tim Gardner on July 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM. #

Thanks for your input Steve and Tim.

by Matthew Stollak on July 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM. #

I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but it can’t hurt...unless like Steve said, you don’t keep it updated. I’m a very new blogger, but I plan to have my experience on my 'About' page at some point. Mostly because I’m starting a consulting business and the blog will be a part of my marketing strategy. I don’t want potential customers to have to go to LinkedIn to see my qualifications.

by Unknown on July 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM. #

Thanks for the comment Erin. Good luck with the blog...you should provide a link here.

by Matthew Stollak on July 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM. #

Thanks Matthew, the link is www.paperclipsandpolicies.com

by Unknown on July 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM. #

Thanks for sharing as it is an excellent post would love to read your future post. computer classes in Baroda

by seodreamcreation on July 15, 2013 at 4:42 AM. #

I am very thankful to the author to write this fruitful information.It is worth sharing for other users.Thanks once again. register your tuition class online

by seodreamcreation on July 15, 2013 at 6:13 AM. #

To me, LinkedIn profile is really helpful especially when I found out that my current company used this as one of their tools in doing background checking to their candidates. So having an updated and complete LinkedIn would really help especially if you are looking for a job. However, resume is still a requirement for most of the companies. But since it is a very competitive in the corporate world, your resume should be really impactful and impressive. In relation to that, I would like to share the site that I found online. The site is https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/shine-graphical-cvs-resumes/id630664282?mt=8. This site will help individuals to make their resume stand out from the crowd. I have tried it and it was really helpful.

by Unknown on September 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM. #

This comment has been removed by the author.

by Unknown on October 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM. #

This is a nice post. I think that linkedin can help build individuals profile. I would agree with Jhonar Soto that most companies nowadays are using LinkedIn as one of their references. By the way, Jhonar Soto thank you for sharing the link - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/shine-graphical-cvs-resumes/id630664282?mt=8. This app is great. I tried using it myself and the result is indeed impressive. This app is highly recommended.

Sophia Montereal

by Anonymous on October 20, 2013 at 7:16 AM. #

Leave your comment